Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Time to pack for camp - Saturday Preview

I am going to actually be a big time planner and get some packing done this evening.  Last year I think I waited until Friday evening (and I had an early flight out in the morning) and I may have forgotten a few items.  This year the weather looks like it will be a constant upper 70's for the entire week (yes a tad early to look at the weather forecasts) but boy would it be nice to have that weather -- the need to pack extra sweatshirts and long sleeve shirts is alleviated.

So to give you an idea how the week goes I am going to preview Saturday.   We are landing on Saturday afternoon just in time for registration -- we will get our "Camp Handbook" (with the game schedules and various information for all the plans during the week) and our name tags.  This is a great time as many familiar faces will be seen and lots of smiles all around.   The Rookie campers will have a "closed door" meeting where the Camp Commissioner Bert Blyleven will give them the ground rules for the week.  Returning campers (or as we call them "Veterans", some of are even "Hall of Famers") are not allowed in this meeting.  My rookie meeting was 'crashed' by a veteran camper (which was noted in a Kangaroo Court and he was fined an appropriate amount of money by the Judge).   The key message from the commissioner is "Don't get Hurt, pace yourself, it's a long week!" and of course, "No campers has ever been signed a major league baseball contract!" (so true.....)

The rookies and veterans will then be together for an evening banquet where the rookies get their chance to introduce themselves and give a 5 second speech on why they are there and where they are from -- generally a highlight of the evening.

This year will be extra special as the Vikings will be playing the Packers at 8pm (Florida time, otherwise known as Eastern Standard Time) -- so hoping for a Viking victory before coming upon the first "official" day of camp (which is Sunday) -- I will preview what Sunday looks like in my next post -- it needs a separate post as Sunday is a great day at camp!

Paul

Follow me on Twitter:  @fantasycamper

~~ "It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits in baseball.  I did it in one afternoon on the golf course." - Hank Aaron ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment